I’ve just realised that I’ve not blogged for ages it seems. I have been managing a bit of time in the craft room this week, so I shall show you what I’ve been up to.
I’ve made a few ATCs, and some cards too. I can’t show you all the cards – Father’s day is coming up and until they’ve been sent and opened I didn’t ought to spoil the surprise! But I can show you the rest of my goodies.
Firstly, do you remeber that beautiful lacy scrapbook page I bought when I was on holiday? Well, it inspired me. But oddly enough, it didn’t inspire me to make a scrapbook page. No, instead, it inspired me to make an ATC. I wondered if it would be possible to make a lacy ATC, so I used the scrapbook page as a partial stencil, drew the rest free-hand, and cut it out with a craft knife. This was an experience in itself. Trying to cut through a layer of card *and* a layer of backing paper at the same time was hard work. In the end I only broke one craft knife blade, and that was because I was using the wrong shape (note to self – always read the instructions for what each blade should be used for).
To add to the lacy theme, I tied some real lace (proper vintage too, donated by my mum) around it, added some adhesive pearls at the side, and highlighted the flower buds with green glitter glue. All in all, I’m pretty pleased with this. It looks very unusual but still really pretty.
It’s my friend’s birthday on 14th June. She’s not a girly-girl and I didn’t want to make her a pink and sparkly card, so I raided my American purchases again. I re-discovered that lovely teal-blue and black swirly ribbon. I love that colour, and thought it would be perfect.
My initial plan for this card was that it was going to have three stamped and heat embossed panels, with ribbon down the side. I made the panels, and started trying layouts on different sized and shaped cards. I could not find a pattern that I liked. In the end, two of the panels were discarded and substituted for paper flowers that were a perfect colour match. The backing paper was some I’d received in a Swap-Bot swap, and I finished the flowers with a black adhesive gem at each centre. Finally a dab of teal blue glitter glue in the middle of all the swirls on the ribbon, and edged around the embossed ‘Happy Birthday’ image tied it all together.
The finished card is not even close to being similar to the one that was in my head at the start of the process. As so often happens, the products I have on my craft shelf call to me, and take on a life of their own. I seem only to be the person holding the glue!
Because of the change of plan halfway through the design, I ended up having a little bit of extra ribbon left over (I had cut off enough to use on a 8×6″ card, but ended up using a 6×4″ one). Never one to throw *anything* away, I came up with the following ATC, along the same theme as the card. Different backing paper this time, but more paper flowers, black gems and glitter glue. The only major difference is that I used a rub-on word rather than a stamped and heat embossed one. It took less than 5 minutes to create this ATC, but I feel it’s very effective in it’s simplicity. However, I’m not 100% happy with it because the ribbon is a bit wonky. Ah well, always room for improvement!
Please do let me know what you think of the ATCs, especially the lacy one. I love to hear your views!