Remember when I mentioned in my Rainbow ATC post that I’d sat down with my son and his paints and made some coloured backing papers? Well, We had a bit of paint left over, so I thought I’d try my hand at some painted ATCs. Now, I am not an artist. I cannot draw, and certainly can’t paint something recognisable. Most of my attempts at painting in the past have been hard to tell apart from my son’s attempts. But regardless, I had a go. So in the interests of being completely random (and refusing, once again, to throw away excess paint) I came up with these.
Handpainted swirls: blue.
Handpainted swirls: red.
I think I’d watched a programme about Jackson Pollack the night before, which as why I went for randomness rather than my usual rubbish attempt at painting a ‘picture’.
I’d be interested to know what your thoughts are on these ATCs – they are so unlike my usual style that I’m still not sure about them. Are they art? Or are they just splodges of child’s paint on a bit of cardboard? Let me know what you think.
I had to make an orange ATC for a Swap-Bot swap, and was struggling for inspiration for ages. Then I made two in the space of one evening! Part of my inspiration came from a most bizarre source. I stepped outside my house on the way to pick my son up from school one day, and on my driveway lay a single page of a book. It was slightly torn and yellowed, but I could see its potential straight away. That evening, I made these.
I used part of the book page as a background, using the tear as the lower edge of it. The bottom part of the backing is actually a bit of a Weetabix packet (hey, it’s orange!). I painted over the backing with some orange paint (ok, Isaac’s orange paint!), but just lightly so that the words still showed through a little. I mounted a butterfly onto the backing using foam pads, and attached a double layer of paper flowers using a brad.
Found poetry: haiku
My friend Kirsty introduced me to ‘found poetry’. This is where you take the page of a book or magazine, and select some of the words to create a poem. As I particularly love the form of the haiku (a line of five syllables, then seven, then five again) I wanted to ‘find’ a haiku within the book page that had itself been ‘found’. I used the same orange paint to cover up the unwanted words (probably too thickly actually, if I was to do another I would want to leave the covered words slightly visible, more like in the ATC above). I circled each used word in black ink, and linked them together in order. I’m pretty pleased with how this has come out actually – it is art in several forms, in a tiny 3.5 x 2.5 inch ATC.